Sylius v1.0.0-beta.3 Now Available!
Hey there Sylius Community! Things are getting serious now. We have never been so close to the stable release. Continue reading to learn what is new and what are our plans for the next months.
Our previous release happened in April and since then we focused on bug fixes. We also pushed the plugin development & integrations forward, which brought us a couple of improvements to make the core platform more extendable with reusable packages.
Symfony 3.3 and Beyond
We have successfully updated to Symfony 3.3 and this is the version we will use for the stable release. Question may be raised: Will Sylius support Symfony 4.0 and Symfony 3.4 LTS? Yes, we will provide compatibility with both in future Sylius releases. We have been growing with Symfony since it’s pre-alpha days and we will continue to do so because it is the best PHP framework for web applications!
Dropping PHP 5.6 and 7.0
After this release, dev-master and 1.0.0 release will be PHP 7.1 only. Kamil initiated an issue on GitHub and 50 people have voted in favor of dropping old versions of PHP, which just makes total sense for an eCommerce framework.
These versions are no longer maintained and Sylius is designed for modern and stable applications. Make sure to update your PHP. One of our tasks before 1.0.0 is to ascertain that Sylius deployment to popular and suitable Cloud platforms is documented.
Bug Fixes & Changes
Some of the most important patches are:
- Taxon slug generation changed (BC Break): https://github.com/Sylius/Sylius/issues/8280
- Some serialization config was moved to AdminApiBundle for proper decoupling: https://github.com/Sylius/Sylius/pull/8115
- Admin sidebar animation was fixed: https://github.com/Sylius/Sylius/issues/8276
- Customer impersonation coupling between Core & Shop interface was removed: https://github.com/Sylius/Sylius/pull/8270
- Product taxon tree in admin was fixed: https://github.com/Sylius/Sylius/issues/8130
- Symfony DIC tags were unified (BC Break): https://github.com/Sylius/Sylius/issues/7838
- Compatibility with Swiftmailer V6 was added: https://github.com/Sylius/Sylius/pull/8262
- Bug with null product attribute values was fixed: https://github.com/Sylius/Sylius/pull/8277
- Shop security firewall name is no longer hardcoded: https://github.com/Sylius/Sylius/pull/8253
- We check for image file when deleting it from DB: https://github.com/Sylius/Sylius/pull/8261
- jms_serializer.serializer service is no longed aliased: https://github.com/Sylius/Sylius/pull/8186
- Date filter in grids was improved to consider inclusiveness: https://github.com/Sylius/Sylius/pull/8167
- Taxon deletion cascading was fixed: https://github.com/Sylius/Sylius/pull/8160
- Select type attributes can how contain non-latin characters: https://github.com/Sylius/Sylius/pull/8158
- Variant generation was improved: https://github.com/Sylius/Sylius/pull/8097
- Some database migrations (down) were fixed: https://github.com/Sylius/Sylius/pull/8069
- Payment descriptions are now easily customizable: https://github.com/Sylius/Sylius/pull/7979
- Admin API for product associations was added: https://github.com/Sylius/Sylius/pull/7966
- Some permission checks in admin were fixed: https://github.com/Sylius/Sylius/pull/8156
In total we had 280+ commits from 51 contributors. Which is a huge success because it is 21 more contributors compared to 30 contributors with over 1750 commits between Betas 1 and 2.
Additionally, all translations are synchronized again.
API Plugin for PWA/SPA
In case you missed our last blog post, we have released another official plugin, which brings a completely new API to Sylius. It is designed for Single Page Applications and Progressive Web Apps built with your framework of choice, be it React, Angular or VUE.js.
We are looking for more feedback from the frontend community and hopefully we will see more and more eCommerce applications built with the API approach in mind. Sylius is ready for that new wave in development. :)
We have also launched the registration for our pilot Solution Partner Program. If you are a software house, systems integrator or digital agency working with eCommerce - drop us a message and we will provide more information about how we can work together.
You can access our online demo here. Give it a try and let us know what do you think!
You can install and try the latest Sylius by running the following commands:
composer create-project -s beta sylius/sylius-standard project cd project yarn install yarn run gulp bin/console sylius:install bin/console server:start open http://127.0.0.1:8000
If you prefer Vagrant:
git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:Sylius/Vagrant.git sylius cd sylius vagrant up
Stable Release Roadmap & Your Support
According to our schedule, first RC will happen in the first 2 weeks of September.
We have about 60 issues assigned to the 1.0.0 milestone. Some of them are small bugs, but some are blockers for the release. But the more we fix the better Sylius 1.0.0 will be. Jump in our Slack, where currently almost 600 members (and still growing!) discuss issues every day.
Have a look at our Contributing Guide. Your help is much appreciated and hopefully we see you on GitHub!
What is Next?
If you are looking to build or use Sylius plugins, themes & integrations, we have some exciting news coming. Stay tuned. You can subscribe to our newsletter below this article and be the first to know about it. ;)
As always, big thanks to our awesome Core Team & all contributors. You are all amazing! We have exceeded an impressive number of 400 contributors not so long time ago. To meet so many people on our Slack and see them successfully working on Sylius projects is an indescribable motivation.
Also, it looks like we are top #6 platform on GitHub according to the star rating (https://www.ecommwar.com/). And we are just getting started. :) Give us a star if you want to spread eCommerce development happiness! See you on GitHub!